Today, the Bulgarian bank of the river Danube is 470 km. long (from the mouth of river Timok to the town of Silistra). There are 10 towns and settlements along the river.
Port complex – Ruse J.S.Co manages the ports located at 4 of them – Somovit, Ruse, Toutrakan and Silistra. The history of the company is very dynamic. The most important moments are:
07.11.1866 Official opening of the contemporary Port of Ruse.
1950 “The Ruse district port management”, with head office in Ruse, has been established as a self-supported company under the government of “Management “Water Transport”” in the Ministry of Transport.
1953 The ports in Svishtov and Somovit have been included in the new company’s structure.
1973 “Port complex – Ruse” has been established as a branch of the company “Water transport” – Varna.
1989 A new public company “Bulgarian river shipping” – Ruse has been established and “Port complex – Ruse” has been included in its structure without the status of a legal entity.
1991 “Port complex – Ruse” has been established as a privately-owned Ltd. with 100% government property of the capital.
1996 The company has become a privately-owned J.S.C. with 100% government property of the capital.